Saturday, March 08, 2008

It's really hard to believe it's been an entire week since I've been able to write anything about running. It's not to imply that I haven't been doing any running, or thinking about what I'd write after each respective run. It's just that things have been too busy to write.

It's obvious that I like to use a lot of words to describe my experiences, but in the interest of time, I think I'll just do a quick recount of the week. Suffice it to say, overall, this week was a good one. I was very motivated at the start of the week, embracing a busy work and travel schedule and anxious and excited to see how I could continue my training while doing such. By week's end, however, my tone was completely different. I was worn out, exhausted, and unsure if I was going to be able to get out the door this morning for my Saturday long run. Luckily, though, I recalled that most of the time with running it is so much about just getting out the door. From there my legs tend to do the rest.

One thing I've noticed with the training schedule I'm following is that there really isn't much room for mental relaxation. At least every other day, and at certain times, back to back days, involve runs longer than 10 miles. I am either mentally recovering or mentally preparing for a major run at some point during the day. It can really begin to wear on me. The end of this week was a perfect example of that, but as I type this I can proudly state that I was able to pull myself together and get out on the roads this morning for a successful, fast, long run.

I was headed to New York for work Monday through Wednesday this week, and Sunday I got a really poor night's sleep. Robert was in town and we went out to dinner on Sunday. I was feeling good and relaxed and because he and I had a thirty minute wait for seats I decided it would be okay to drink a beer. With dinner, I decided it wouldn't hurt to have a second one. I didn't even feel remotely intoxicated upon leaving the restaurant, but the little bit of alcohol did affect my sleep. Therefore, when the alarm went off at 6am for a six mile run on Monday, I was already operating at a sleep deficit. Nevertheless, I skated through the six miles and made my way to New York.

The scheduled required me to do a second run that afternoon, of only four miles, and thankfully I was able to squeeze it in on the treadmill in the basement gym of the hotel. The one thing I did notice is that 8 minute miles seemed fast on the treadmill. I wanted to keep my run to 30-32 minutes, and had to do the last two miles at 7:45 pace. It felt a tad quick, or at least not really relaxed.

Monday night I had a show in New York and was thankful that I was able to turn down the few drinks I was offered. I was in bed by 12:30pm, but up Tuesday by 7am and in Central Park by 7:30. Heidi, who lives and runs in NYC, convinced me that I would be able to do some speed work around the reservoir in Central Park. The workout called for 11 miles with 5 x 1200m at 5k pace with a 2.5 minute jog in between. I warmed up with 5 miles running counter clockwise through the park. This was the opposite direction of the Men's US Olympic Trials that we watched back in November, but I was still able to conjure up images in my mind of those guys running considerably quicker than I was on that fair fall morning. The warm up felt good and the speed work around the reservoir was nice, though it was windy. When I'm not able to find a measured track I use a "time" model in place of a "distance" one. I figure that 1200m would probably take me 4:30 to run, so I run at the perceived rate of exertion for a 1200m run and do that for 4.5 minutes. It seems to work out pretty well. I jogged back to the hotel happy that I'd completed the workout.

Tuesday night was an even later one than Monday, and I did end up having one beer that evening. I hadn't planned on drinking, but I figured one celebratory beer at night's end would be acceptable. Luckily I didn't have the same sleep problems I'd had Sunday night. I was only able to get about 5 and half hours of sleep before waking at 7am for a 15 miler. The weather wasn't very nice and my route involved running through the city streets across town to the East Side path at 23rd Street. I've always enjoyed running through the streets of New York City and this morning was no exception. Dodging people and cars and going where the green lights take you (that is, crossing streets from west to east or south to north depending on which light at an intersection is green) keeps your focus directly in front of you. Before I knew it I was on the east side.

The wind on that side was pretty fierce and unfortunately I wasn't dressed as warm as I would have liked. Nevertheless, I persisted through the run and after stopping for a bathroom break in the facility where people catch the Staten Island ferry, I had the wind at my back from Battery Park up to 57th Street. The rain started with about 15 minutes left of my run, and I logged a fast two miles in Central Park. At this point in the week, after two late nights and two difficult runs I was feeling quite good - very on top of my game.

I was beat when I got home on Wednesday and snuck in a nap before going out to a show that night. I did not stay out late and was up for 10 miles early the next morning. I wasn't elated to get up and go, so I ended up running at 7am instead of my normal 6 or 6:30. It's amazing when a 10 mile "general aerobic" run seems short. However, it did, and I felt fast. I ran with at the pace my body was leading me, cognizant of the fact that I was going to have to run hard on Saturday. Nevertheless, once again, I was feeling good about running Thursday morning.

Continuing with the trend of shows followed by runs, I had another show on Thursday night. With only a five mile recovery run on Friday I thought I could get away with a few drinks. However, we were out past midnight, and though I was barely feeling the positive effects of alcohol, the next morning was rough. I think by Friday everything had caught up to me, and dragging myself out of bed by 8:30 was tough. My run was fine once I got out there, but it was rough to get out of the door. The rainy weather wasn't helping either. Again, the run itself was fine, but the rest of Friday was miserable. I was very, very tired and just worn out. I had hoped to get to yoga Friday evening but when you're feeling tired and unmotivated it's tough to motivate yourself. Therefore, I skipped the yoga class, full well knowing that it would do me more good than harm. I was able to sneak in a few poses Friday evening, but I was wrecked by 9pm. I fell asleep on the couch around then but didn't really get to bed until after 10:30.

This morning was Saturday and I woke up around 6:45 thinking I could try to get out of the house by 7:30am. I spent some time downloading some podcasts for my run, and didn't make it out of the house until 8:15am. Today's run called for 16 miles with 12 at marathon pace. I decided I'd do a nice out and back along Rock Creek Parkway heading towards Hains Point. I wanted to run the first four at a slower pace and then log the last 12 at marathon pace. However, I started off quickly and by mile two I was surely running a pace faster than I'd hoped to at that point. I went with it and kept on at what I perceived to be marathon pace. It was raining out and there seemed to be more and more runners out than in the past few, colder weekends. When other runners looked serious I would wave at them and I noticed a time or two where people were noticing I was running with a lot of effort.

I hit the eight mile turnaround still feeling pretty good, but knowing it would be very tough to hold up for the remaining 8. I wasn't exactly sure when I started the twelve miles for race pace, but was a tad afraid I wouldn't actually run a full twelve at race pace. Nevertheless, feeling how I had been feeling, exhausted from the travel and the work, I already viewed this run as a success. The rain picked up with just a few miles to go and I noticed myself slowing with about three miles left. By the end of the run I felt a tad sick, once again. That's attributable to the lack of sleep, non-stop pace, coffee intake and consuming a gel halfway through the run. I ended the run at home feeling quite out of it, thinking that the remainder of the day would probably be a wash. I did want to write this blog so I can have a record of this week of training.

Overall it was a successful week. I was able to log the 68 miles my schedule called for with a lot of travel and late nights. I want to be able to make things less hectic, but this week I am going to Texas for South by Southwest on Thursday. I'm supposed to run hard Thursday morning and do a 4 mile recovery that afternoon. Maybe I'll do something similar to what I did on Monday of this week when I went to New York - hit the treadmill at the hotel before heading out that night. Friday will be a 6 mile recovery run, but Saturday calls for a 21 mile long run. That's the only thing I'm really worried about. I was able to run 18 miles there last year, but was drinking and on a bit different of a schedule. I would presume that NOT drinking will help me, overall, if I can remind myself that I feel better when I haven't been drinking. However, sometimes when I'm drinking I have more energy. I'm sleeping less but the combination of alcohol and coffee seem to fuel me through some of these runs. I guess all I can say is - I'll see.

5 weeks to go to the marathon:

Sunday - off/cross train (yoga)
Monday - 8 miles w/10 x 100m strides
Tuesday - 14 mile medium long run
Wednesday - 5 mile recovery
Thursday - 12 miles w/7 miles at half marathon pace in the am and 4 mi recovery pm
Friday - 6 mile recovery run
Saturday - 21 mile long run

Total of 70 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home