Thursday, February 28, 2008

My left calf is in a knot today. I felt it tighten as I was about 6 miles into this morning's 11 mile run. I pushed through and managed to finish the run, but now, just a few hours later, it's reminding me of the punishment I dealt it.

Winter is still here, as evidenced by the 14 degree (with wind chill) temps this morning. I really don't mind the cold so much. I've accumulated enough "gear" over the years to ensure that I am warm enough. I have a formula, based on the temperature and wind chill, as to exactly how many layers I will wear. Today's debate was whether or not to don a balaclava or not. Instead, I opted for an ear warmer in addition to my hat. However, once I'd been running about 5 minutes, I was definitely warm enough.

Today's run called for 6 of the 11 miles to be done at half marathon pace. I intended to do a 3 mile warm up, but by the 20 minute mark I was already moving quickly, so I launched into half marathon pace. I don't really have an accurate gauge of what pace I'm running, though, so I just ran at a quick pace. And, after about 10-15 minutes, I realized that it may have been too quick of a pace. Nevertheless, I powered through the run. By the time I was on the backside of the 6 miles (or at the 40 minute mark of half marathon pace), I was pretty beat, and my calf was cramping.

I'm about to head out the door to a noon yoga class and then prepare for an after work 4 mile recovery run!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home