Friday, February 29, 2008

Last night I ran my first "double" ever. That is, I ran for the second time in one day. I wasn't exactly sure how it would go, and I wasn't motivated at all to run it. I don't particularly enjoy running anytime after noon anyways. I like to run early, get it out of the way, and not have to worry about it anymore. Yesterday was no different, except that it was actually even a bit harder to run in the evening because I'd already expended myself in the morning.

My understanding is that by running 11 miles in the morning and 4 miles in the evening, it allows for me to run 15 miles in a day, but doesn't fully exhaust me the way a 15 mile run all at once would. Also, by running a second time, it increases the blood flow to the muscles, aiding recovery.

I brought my clothes to the office, and ended up getting out of there around 730pm. It was dark and cold and even though it was only 4 miles, I wanted to run faster than a true "recovery" run because I wanted to get out of the cold. It wasn't a great run, but within 30 minutes it was done, and I was able to return to the office, wrap up my work there and rush home.

This morning the training schedule called for 7 miles "General Aerobic" with 6 x 100m strides. My legs were sore this morning, but thankfully my calf wasn't nearly as tight as yesterday. Still, similar to last night, I wasn't really excited about having to complete this run. Nevertheless, I got out the door and hit the pavement.

I ran from my house down to Rockcreek Park via the Zoo's back entrance. I followed the trail in the park down to the P street exit, then up Florida to the track at 13th Street, where I completed my 6 x 100m strides, and finally a slow jog up 11th street to Lamont before cutting over to Sherman and eventually to Morton St. Overall the run was fine, but my legs were a tad sluggish and I have to wonder how the first 20 miler of this training season is going to go tomorrow morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home