Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My legs were sore this morning. I passed out on the couch watching the Democratic Candidates debate last night. Yesterday morning's run really left me exhausted by about 8pm. It was cold this morning and I was thankful that I only needed to do a 5 mile recovery run. Both of my calves were particularly sore, but especially my outer left calf. Nevertheless, the cool winds of an approaching front left me a bit chilly as I completed the 5 miles rather slowly.

Yesterday morning was another 15 miler. I didn't sleep incredibly well the night before, unfortunately. I awoke around 3:30am because a stray cat has taken it upon himself to meow and meow and continue to meow outside of our window. My mind went racing a bit, but then I was able to pass back out until the alarm came on at 6am.

The run itself started good. I added an extra mile up on Capital Hill because I thought I would end a mile shorter at Jason's house (we were supposed to meet for breakfast). By the time I made it 15 miles I still had a mile to go to breakfast which included the ever so sharp incline of the Harvard Street hill.

I trudged slowly up the hill, after having expended myself by running quite quickly down on Hains Point (yes, the Awakening statue is gone!). I felt nauseous towards the top of the hill, something I rarely feel while running. I stopped and walked for the final eighth of the hill, suppressing the urge to vomit.

Overall this run was good. My iPod indicated I went 18.78 miles in 2 hours and 8 minutes. I use the calculation of 8 min/mile to determine that 15miles should take 2 hours - and then set out to run 2 hours. However, I do know that my average pace is considerably faster than 8 minutes/mile. I would muster a guess that on this particular run there were times I was running around 7 minute miles, and the average was at least 7minutes30seconds/mile. That would mean I needed to run one hour, 52 minutes and 30 seconds to complete 15 miles. By the time I hit two hours I would've run 16 and the extra 8 minutes would've been at least another half mile.

Tomorrow is my first 2 runs in a day ever. 11 miles in the morning with some lactacte threshold and then a 4 mile recover in the evening. It's supposed to be about 20 degrees in the morning when I wake up. Bummer. I am looking forward to spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home