Monday, February 25, 2008

It's a new week and a new morning. The alarm clock went off a tad bit after 6am. I felt groggy from going to bed a bit after 11 last night. I went down to the 9:30 club to see some bands and visit with a few friends. I made a conscious effort to return home early, and did a good job. Of course, I forgot the Oscars would be on. I watched the Superbad guys announce best actress and then fell for the deception that best picture would be next (I believe it was actually "Best Film Editing").


My run today was scheduled for 8 mile (general aerobic) with 10 x 100m strides for speed at the end. There's a track about a mile from the house, so I planned to run a 7 mile loop down to the Capital, then run the strides at the track before using the last mile to recover.

Monday's are always strange for running, because I take Sunday off. If I don't feel completely refreshed I wonder if I pushed it too hard on Saturday or if the hour and a half yoga class on Sunday had an impact on my muscles. Nevertheless, I started out the door just after 6:30, donned in tights, a hat, gloves, a fleece and my reflective running vest. Weather.com indicated it was 39F and the humidity was 71%.


I didn't feel spectacular at first, but kept a pretty decent pace out of the blocks. Again, Monday's prove difficult because even though I wanted to push it this morning, I needed to be cognizant of the fact that I have to run 15 miles tomorrow. Nevertheless, I kept up a pretty quick pace until I ended up at the track. There I was able to complete the 10 x 100m strides with good form and speed.

I never know exactly what pace I'm running because I haven't properly calibrated my iPod + Nike pedometer in quite some time. When it says I'm running a 6:45 pace I typically add about 15 seconds to that (thinking I'm running about a 7:15). On my 10th 100m sprint i tapped the button on my iPod which indicates my current pace - it registered that I was running at a 4:30/mile pace. Even if I were to use the 30 second adjustment (technically it would have to be less at that speed) that would mean I was moving at 5 minutes/mile. Then I began to think about world class marathoners and how they carry that pace over the entire 26.2 miles (42.2km - I've gotten into the practice of trying to convert miles to kms in my head and got a lot of practice while hanging out with my Canadian friends at the 9:30 club last night).

Overall it was a great run. I came home and stretched and am already mentally preparing for the 15 miler that I have to run tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home