Thursday, March 27, 2008

I must admit that I'm feeling a bit of a lull in the entire training. What once seemed so clear, and accessible, has lately become a bit of a monkey on my back. I think part of it is that I've let my guard down just a bit lately. I've acted as if I've already finished the race, as opposed to someone who is only 2/3rds of the way into his training. And, even though the bout with plantar fascitiis has yet to run its course, it's contributed to a bit of a more relaxed attitude about everything.

However, after my 15 mile run this morning, I think I might be able to hone in all of the extraneous energy and keep my eyes on my goal.

I did end up skipping my runs on Monday, and then, as I was about to begin my 11 mile run on Tuesday, I decided that I would take the advice of my friend Morgan. He was visiting from Sweden as I began to notice the signs of plantar fascitiis, and I explained to him my disappointment that I wouldn't be adhering to my schedule. He simply said "can't you just shift everything one day?" So, as I finished my the first 5 minutes of my run Tuesday morning, I decided to keep that one to a 6 miler. I felt little pain, but did notice my feet more than I had ever before.

I spent some time icing my feet after the run, and took a frozen bottle to the office to roll along the bottom of my foot (simultaneously reducing inflammation by icing and breaking up the "build up" of tension via the rolling and pressure). Though I wasn't motivated to do so, I did end up getting in my 4 mile evening run on a treadmill in the office gym around 9pm.

Yesterday morning now called for an 11 mile run with 6 x 1000m repeats. Unfortunately I ran a bit longer and a bit faster before reaching the track than I should have. And, on this run I noticed that my right foot was actually exhibiting more signs of discomfort than the left (the one which was initially feeling the worst). By the time I reached the track I had already run 8+ miles, so my repeats weren't particularly strong. I only ended up doing 4 x 1000m with 2 minutes of rest/jogging in between. My legs were definitely tensing up quite a bit by the end of the workout.

I definitely felt a tad distraught that I wasn't able to complete the workout, but consoled myself by noting that at least I was back on my feet. And, the soft nature of the track actually seemed to help my feet.

This morning, again, i wasn't elated to get out of the bed. The past few mornings in Washington, DC, have been really beautiful. I've been fortunately to run in relatively warmer temperatures amongst the blooming Cherry Blossoms. It's a fantastic time of year! This morning, though, it was a bit gloomy. Nevertheless, I knew once I left the house I would be fine. Indeed, I was right!

The 15 miles passed relatively quickly, and aside from my left quad feeling a tad strained, and my hips being as tight as ever, I felt really good! I was moving pretty quickly and paid special attention to the fact that my route had a lot of hills (through the hilly part of Rock Creek Park, coming out on Nebraska Ave, all the way to Mass. Ave, down to Dupont Circle and then making my way home).

Tomorrow will be an easy recovery day, and then I plan to run 20 miles of the National Marathon with my friend Chris Hesse. I had considered running the National Half, as I did last year. However, Chris has supported me in races prior - he was instrumental in helping me finish Marine Corps, and we both ran the Outerbanks Marathon - and it's time to return the favor. I'm a tad afraid his 8:45 pace will be a bit mind numbming to me, but I hope that we can have a good time and he can reach his goal.

From there we're down to 3 weeks until the race. That's a bit scary!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better and getting back on track. The goal is in reach! Go for it,

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home