Monday, March 10, 2008

Daylight savings time is upon us, and though I was able to go to sleep at a reasonable hour last night, there was no kidding my body and mind that by waking up at 6:15am I was really waking up at 5:15am. I didn't sleep great last night, having gone to bed on a full stomach and then having a number of noises wake me throughout the night. I've found that occasionally the nights I try to get the most amount of sleep are sometimes the most fitful.

Nevertheless, I am a morning person, and was able to hop out of bed after the alarm had gone off. I spent a bit of time looking for my running hat as I slurped a timer-made cup of coffee. I headed out the door feeling a pep in the first step. Soon after, though, I was feeling a tad strange during the run. Recently, at the start of most runs, I've felt a sharp pain in my left ribs/chest. It's usually semi-strong at first but then goes away a few minutes into the run. This morning I began to breathe into that location, a strategy I've found works quite well with cramps (and one I can thank yoga for inspiring).

I continued on, as the morning run called for 8 miles w/10 x 100m strides at the end, towards the Capital for a very familiar route. I listened to my downloaded podcast of an interview with ultramarathoner Scott Jurek and wondered if I was pushing things too hard or not. The thing is, I wasn't pushing myself very hard. I felt that I was running a relatively regular "general aerobic" pace, but it didn't feel as easy as it should. With yesterday as a day off, I hoped to have felt more rested.

My mind traveled away from my sore left hip as I hit Pennsylvania Avenue and a beautiful view of the Capital came into sight. The sun was rising around 6:50am and the late winter morning provided a pretty backdrop of orange and grey. I watched the people at the Newseum trade out the front page papers.

Newseum Photo

The rest of the run was good. After the Scott Jurek podcast ended I listened to another podcast about ultrarunners. It surely makes an 8 mile jog in the morning seem drab in comparison to someone attempting to complete 100 miles in extreme conditions. I did need to use the bathroom and thought about the fact that the National Mall doesn't seem to have many options in that regard. I presume it's a safety and sanitary reason, and thought I would have to hold in my morning coffee for another half an hour, when just as I crossed Pennsylvania Avenue on 14th Street there were about 20 port-a-johns there. Normally when these toilets are placed down on the Mall they are locked, but these were probably hired in association with an event which occurred yesterday, and were open. I relieved myself and carried on.

I made it to the track feeling a tad sluggish, but pounded out my 10 x 100m strides. My left hip and my quads were both feeling a bit strained, and stride number six was probably the fastest one with the best form. From then on I was a bit sluggish, especially on the finishes.

I jogged the mile home up 11th Street and stopped my watch at just about one hour and ten minutes. I came inside to do a bit of stretching and already begin to focus my mind on the 14 miles which lie in front of me bright and early tomorrow morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home