Monday, March 31, 2008

I was wiped out this morning. Saturday was an exhausting day, all in all, between running the 20 miles with Chris and then hosting the party. I was able to get to yoga yesterday and relax a bit, but when the alarm went off just after 6am, I had little desire to get up and run.

The run with Chris was really nice, but my legs were fried, too. Because of my adjustment last week for the issues with my feet, I had run 11+ miles on Wednesday and then 15 on Thursday. To get back to 20 miles so quickly was taking a bit of a toll. I debated either taking today off or giving some sort of recovery run, but after a cup of coffee and some morning email work, I decided that I should just bite the bullet and run my scheduled 9 miles with 5 x 600m at 5k race pace (w/90 seconds jog in between).

It was rainy and a cold 45 degrees this morning. I ran relatively quickly, feeling a bit of pep in my step. I liked the feeling of the cold drizzle as it fell on my face. I ran in Rock Creek Park and then popped out at P Street and made my way to the track at U Street/Cardozo High School.

The speed repeats were a bit tough, but much better than last year. One thing I tend to forget is that these aren't supposed to be "all out" dashes. In fact, they give you an intended pace - a 5k race pace. My one 5k, a number of months ago (actually, the Navy 5 miler), was run at just over a 6 minute/mile pace. So, I use that as a basis, and try to run a tad quicker than that.

This morning I ran the 600s (and it might even be a bit further than 600m) in just around 2 minutes and 5 seconds. I usually hit the one lap mark (400 m) at 1m22s - 1m25s. It was pretty exhausting, but also exhilarating.

I am wondering how to run the Cherry Blossom 10 miler on Saturday, and also what I should do for a long run this weekend. I am supposed to go 17 miles, which I may just have to shift until Sunday. I can take off Friday, run hard Saturday, and attempt to go long on Sunday. I am hoping I can run a 6:30 average pace for the 10 miler, giving me a finish in 1 hour and 5 minutes.

I searched around for a running calculator which would give me an idea of what I need to finish the 10 miler in to indicate what I'm capable of in the marathon. I came across the MacMillan Running Calculator which shows that if i do finish the race this weekend in 1 hour and 5 minutes (65 minutes) that I can expect to finish the marathon in 3:02:03.

A finish in 64 minutes (6:24 pace) projects that I can run a 2:59:15.



I am not entirely sure if I am mentally there or not, but this will be a good test. 6:24 for 10 miles is going to be really, really tough, but I am going to see if I can nail it.

The rest of this week looks like:

11 mile Medium Long run tomorrow morning

6 miles w 6 x 100m strides Wednesday

5 mile recovery Thursday

OFF Friday

Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Saturday

17 mile long run Sunday

OFF MONDAY

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home