Monday, March 05, 2007

March is a funny and frustrating month. It has the tendency to show signs of Spring, like it did on Saturday by gracing us with near 60 degree temperatures, and then quickly remind us that winter doesn't even officially end until the solstice three quarters of the way through the month.

Though my fast 11 miles on Saturday was done in great running weather, at 7am it was still a bit colder than I'd hoped for. Nevertheless, I was able to run in shorts, my fleece, a hat and my gardening gloves (my hands were definitely the coldest part). Yesterday I ended up going on a 20+ mile bike ride in the just-above-freezing temperatures, which prepared me a bit for the cold of this morning. Because I am on my way to Los Angeles this week (where it will definitely feel like spring!) and had a 9:25am flight out of National I wanted to log my 8 miles for the day before boarding.

I set my alarm for 5:20am and was out the door by 5:35am. Weather.com indicated the temperature was 28 and the stiff breeze dropped the wind chill to 22. I threw on my tights, undershirt, longsleeve shirt, fleece, windbreaker, hat and winter gloves. Though last week was supposed to be a recovery week, i didn't do a great job of taking advantage of it. Instead I ran my shorter distances faster than I normally would. Combining that with the bike ride yesterday, my legs started today's run at a distinct disadvantage.

The early morning was cold and as I jaunted down Sherman Avenue towards downtown the wind was blasting my face. I started relatively slowly, but was still probably under an 8 minute mile pace. As I neared the 2 mile mark of the run I could tell I was running quickly. I kept the pace up through the third mile, just near the Capitol. Unlike my 7 mile route where I head from the road immediately fronting the Capitol to the pebble covered paths of the National Mall, I cut south on 3rd street and went into Southwest DC. I struggled as I hit the halfway point just before turning onto Maine Avenue.

The fish market was not booming at all and I was glad to pass it on my way to the tidal basin, just opposite the Jefferson Memorial. The pedometer indicated I'd gone about 5 miles in that time and I continued on passing in front of the Washington Monument before being dumped onto 15th Street heading North. By this time my legs were really showing signs of frustration from last week's workouts. However, my mind was able to convince me that the sooner I got home the sooner I'd be warm, so I pushed myself up the small incline before I (Eye) Street.

At Scott Circle I ended up back on 14th Street, which is how I've finished my 7 mile route so many times before. Though it was still a bit anguishing to have to mentally push myself on, I did what I needed to do and eventually crossed U Street. From there it's a relatively steep 5 blocks uphill. I took the hill a tad slowly and was glad to finally level off at the top - the beginning to Columbia Heights. By now the sun was rising and the crystal clear blue sky of the morning was a great reward.

My run actually logged 8.3 miles by the time I returned to Sherman Ave at Park Ave (just north of my house on Morton Street). According to my Nike + iPod pedometer I ran the distance in 1h 3m with an average pace in the ball park of 7:30. I'm still convinced that upon proper calibration I'll find out I've been running both further and faster than I'd anticipated.

It was nice to try to get a quick stretch, especially in the sore area of my right hip. I then rushed through my morning routine so I would have enough time to wolf down some breakfast, pack for my trip and move out. The run was good, but not great. I need to concentrate on running more slowly tomorrow, as recovery is going to be key if I want to get in 8 miles Friday and the 17 miler on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home