Saturday, March 03, 2007

With each passing week I've attempted to write about my running from the previous week. Some of them, I find myself in a familiar position that I am right now - I've already completed my post run shower and am about to get started on some of the week's unfinished work while sitting at my desk in my room. Others, rather last week specificially, I found myself in Japan having run a strong five miles in Osaka. Nevertheless, I just haven't been able to complete any writing about my running. Distractions are one thing, but there must be a lack of motivation somewhere within that's prevented me.

I won't be able to go back through the past two weeks worth of running. However, I will say that I am feeling pretty confident about my training. This morning was an 11 miler and I completed that quite quickly. I kept the National Half Marathon in my mind as I pushed myself on a run that's only two miles shy of what I'll need to run on March 24th. I haven't quite figured out what I'd like to run it in, but my gut tells me anything under 1 hour and 35 minutes will be a success.

Two weeks ago I had a strong running week, and then I was in Japan last Thursday through Tuesday. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with my training schedule while there, but I sacrificed a lot of sleep and ran at least one run with more alcohol in my system than I'd have liked. However, it was a test of my will to run and my ability to convince my aching body (lungs, legs, brain, etc) that if I WANT to run something, I CAN.

I've been reading a book by David MacGillivray, the race director of the Boston Marathon. He's consistently challenged himself throughout his life, long before Dean Karnazes (ultramarathon man). Both men have been an inspiration. Having read accounts of people running very long mileage (40+) day after day allows one to really push himself on comparatively short 10 to 15 mile runs.

Running in Japan was fun, though my 15 mile run in Tokyo was a tad frustrating. I'd hoped to retrace the route our car drove to our hotel the day before. That would have taken me by the Imperial Palace in the center of Tokyo. However, I missed a turn somewhere and then couldn't ever get my bearings straight. Tokyo is a monstrous city, with more high buildings than I've ever seen. They never eased enough along my route to allow for an analysis of where I was in comparison to where I wanted to be. Having very little familiarity with the city to begin with also added to that disappointment. Nevertheless, I ran in circles and made random turns in the 35 degree Farenheit weather. It was chilly, but in the end I was happy that I'd logged the miles.

In fact, in my 5 days in Japan I was able to push through a 10 mile run in Osaka, a 5 mile recovery run, the 15 mile Tokyo run, a much needed day off (after the 15 mile run I spent the rest of the day on my feet sight seeing) and then a 7 mile run the day we left. 37 miles on less than 24 hours of sleep in 5 nights once again made me feel that I can do whatever my mind wants me to. That said, I do need some recovery after that.

That's what this week was supposed to be. I did my long run in Tokyo on Sunday there, and the 7 mile pace run was done Tuesday morning Tokyo time. I was finished by 7am, which would have been 5pm in Washington, DC. Therefore after a morning of last minute shopping and a 12 and a half hour plane ride from Tokyo's Narita airport back to Washington Dulles I felt okay about lacing up my shoes for a quick four mile, sunset jaunt Tuesday evening back in DC. The runs were 24 hours apart on the world clock, but both were done Tuesday in their respective locations. That's about as close to a two-a-day as I've ever come.

Wednesday I was glad to return to the track. The workout called for the über-ladder (800-1200-1600-2000-1600-1200-800, all with 400m recovery periods). As always, we were encouraged to modify the training according to our individual training schedules. Though this was a recovery week, I felt as if I wanted to challenge myself with the über ladder. I ended up running it quite well, though my hips were quite tight. Nevertheless, I feel myself getting stronger and stronger with each run.

By and large I completely avoided jet-lag on my trip to Japan. I guess not sleeping for more than 5 hours per night is one of taking care of that, but I was surprised. My trip back from Africa had devastated me and I was sure that Japan would leave me with some astounding sleep deprivation as well. Maybe I've commandeered control of my anxious?! However, after that track workout Wednesday night I was sufficiently wiped, and my body attested to that. I hardly ever set my alarm clock unless I must be up before 7am. My body's natural sleep cycle usually wakes me before that magic hour. Much to my surprise I slept straight through until 8:30am on Thursday morning. I was happy. I was also still beat, and my hips, legs and left foot (my big toe hurts and I'm not 100% confident that I don't have a stress fracture) all were pleading with me to take a day off. Therefore I skipped the easy 4 mile recovery run I would have normally run.

I was actually still tired Friday (two beers from 9 to 11pm at the local bar with friends probably didn't help), but made myself run my 7 mile Capitol route. I really like that route and it was the first warm morning of the year. It was already 50 degrees when I left the house and I ran in only shorts, a base t-shirt and a longsleeve over that. The run itself wasn't bad, and like this morning's long run I pushed myself when I felt I could. I don't know if my iPod pedometer is calibrated the way it should be, but I do know that I'm running faster than I did, whether it's precise or not.

I'm headed to Los Angeles this week, but should be able to get 8 miles in Monday morning before I leave. I'll be back in time for my 17 mile run next Saturday. It's really the following weekend I am worried about - 18 miles in the Austin, Texas, heat at the South by Southwest Music Conference. Nevertheless, I am feeling strong and confident and am sure I'll find a way to not only complete the runs, but continue to improve my times!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home