Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Track Workouts and Returning to the Gym.

I returned to the gym this week. I went yesterday morning and again this morning. I went through a very light routine, though it isn't much different from what I normally do when I go in there. Nevertheless, with the insomnia and jet lag I haven't felt incredibly motivated. However, I've gotten in there just enough to make myself feel good and energize me throughout the day.

Though i worked out this morning I made a return to the track tonight. I run with a group called the Potomac Runners and I hadn't gone since a few weeks before my marathon. However, tonight I braved the sub-30 degree temperatures and went out once again. I love the invigoration that a track workout gives me. In fact, even though I've had trouble sleeping every night this week, it's a quarter til 11pm and I am showing no real signs of tiring. That's rare for me (and I hope I do get tired soon!).

The running plan for tonight was a series of 1200m runs, followed by a 400m jog, followed by a 400m run, followed by a 200m jog, then repeat. I think the intended plan was to do a series of 1200m runs followed by 400m jogs and then finish with a series of 400m runs followed by 200m jogs, but that's not how we went about it.

I was able to keep up with the front runners for the first set of 1200s, and even the first 400 run following that. However, I quickly realized that it had been a couple of months since I'd been out there, and that they were looking to increase their pace with each and every set. I wasn't capable of handling that. I had to slow down with each set, though I didn't fade too far from a 6:00 minute per mile pace.

I ended up running 4 full sets, and then followed it up with a mile cool down. I ran for 52 minutes, overall, and probably around 5 and a half miles. I am debating whether or not I will do any sort of work out tomorrow. I could get up and go for a nice recovery run, or I could just relax. I won't be able to hit the gym again until Tuesday of next week, so possibly I should go in there. However, I wouldn't mind just trying to sleep in! Lastly, and I always have to remind myself this - while days off are good, they typically don't work for me. I like the release I get from either running, going to the gym, or both.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home