Saturday, February 03, 2007

Whew, it was cold outside this morning. I've recently been told that I'm a walking meteorologist, however I failed to answer what the barometer was going to be like. I'm not sure what my status was reduced to. The bottom line is, I'm a skinny guy without much body fat. The cold tends to seep into my bones and stay there until I'm able to warm myself again. That's usually not until I'm home and have had a long, hot shower.

I woke up this morning and checked weather.com. It indicated that while the temperature was 25 degrees, the windchill would make it feel like it was 15. Learning from the other morning that the addition of my sweat pants and my summit series North Face made me too warm, I donned by typical winter gear and prepared myself mentally for today's run.

Though I was up by 7:15, I made a cup of coffee and relaxed a bit; I gave myself until 8am to get out the door. A few minutes prior to the hour of my deadline I was ready to go. I opened the front door and was quickly hit with a blast of the cold air. I realized I should grab my sunglasses and stepped back inside to retrieve them. For a brief minute I considered ditching the entire ordeal. Nevertheless, I knew that the run would make me feel accomplished upon completion, so I headed out.

I've decided that I am going to run the Vancouver Marathon on May 6th. My buddy Chris is running one sometime in early June and forward me a training plan. I sat down last night and backtracked from race day to where I should be on the current schedule. I'm already at the long run for week 5, which meant that I needed to go out for 12 miles.

Though I haven't been running with a goal or any true consistency in regards to marathoning, I am comfortable with the idea of picking up part way through the training, though.

The run itself was decent, and I averaged 8 minute miles over the 12.75 miles that I ran. I stuck to a pretty standard route for me, heading down to the Capital, behind the Jeffereson Memorial and up Rock Creek Parkway. The stretch by the river was quite challenging because of the wind blowing off the water. It was a tad daunting, but my mind can push my body to persevere. My hands, though gloved, were a tad chilly. It amazes me that I will see other runners out with no hats or gloves. It's well below freezing!

I'm excited about training for another marathon, hoping to break a 3:10 time period. It's 2007 (though a month in) and I'm excited about new challenges, even if it means enduring the cold, windy winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home