Saturday, September 20, 2008

I had illusions of posting a blog about a month ago stating: I'M BACK. It was one of my first "real" runs since the Boston Marathon, and I felt pretty good. It was the start of my training for the Philadelphia Marathon (November 23rd), and I felt that blogging might actually aid in motivating me.

However, as has been the case since the Boston Marathon back in April, I was busy that day and after the run itself, I moved on to working and forgot about blogging. Also, I had a bit of an inkling that I wasn't truly starting to train. I had done one run, and that was it.

Since that time I've managed to sneak in about an average of 3 runs per week, and still don't feel as if I'm training in any sense of the imagination. I've been on the go with work and personal travel since that first run and my workload while I've been home has been more than usual. I just haven't committed to the training process.

This past week I spent in Vancouver, and I wasn't able to log every run I had hoped for. I sacrificed my long run on Saturday, in favor of the idea of going mountain biking. By the time that fell through there wasn't time to pound the pavement for any miles. I was able to run for an hour both Monday and Wednesday, and dip into yoga after my run Monday and again on Thursday. I had an 8:15 flight out of Vancouver on Friday morning, which called for a 530 wake up, so I knew I wasn't going to get a run in Friday, either.

My plan was to run in Milwaukee today, but I'd hoped to be better rested. I was supposed to get here around 4pm local time yesterday, but an 8 hour delay (yes, I think it is the longest delay I've ever faced) of my flight meant I wasn't here until after 11pm. I stayed up with my friends here until almost 2am, hoping that the time change would allow me to still log 8 hours of sleep. Unfortunately, by 7:15am I was up and a bit anxious. The sun seemed to be rising quickly and I knew that running early was my best option, no matter how tired I was, nor that we'd just eaten Chinese food at 1am.

I ran an hour and a half, with a few short walking breaks thrown in after the 50 minute mark. That's been my new thing, ever since the Boston Marathon punished me on its back half (I never did write a blog entry about the experience - i was completely laid up the day of the race, and somehow ended up leaving for a week long work trip to the Philippines the next day. I will write something and post it here, eventually). I have made it a habit of having to stop for minute long walk breaks. By 9am it was already pretty warm with the sun blazing down along the lake front trail in Milwaukee, and it was having its affects on me.

I am unsure of what my training plans hold now. I will be able to run here in Milwaukee again on Monday morning and then will be in DC for a long run Saturday before heading to West Virginia for a work related White Water rafting trip. The following week I can bike and run and log a long run on Saturday. That Sunday, the first one in October, I go to Japan for a week. The last time I was there it was for a quick 5 days and I was able to get in the runs I needed. This time I'm not so sure I'll be as motivated.

I must say, no matter how painful or out of shape (Boston was really only in April and here, just 5 months later I feel as if I've never run an hour before in my life) I am, running does leave me feeling great. So, I trudge on and attempt to get out there, but I just don't expect any sub 3:45 marathon finishes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home