Friday, April 18, 2008

Though it was a bit more of a hassle than I expected, I was able to get the results of my bone scans today. In fact, just 15 minutes after I called Washington Radiology Associates to retrieve my results, my doctor called me to see if I had the scans in my possession. Unfortunately I had to leave a message with WRA, and told Dr. Pribut that when I left their exam room yesterday I did not leave with any scans. I wasn't even aware that I was capable of leaving with them, or I would have asked for them.

Dr. Pribut told me that each patient's experience there is different, but that I should try to get the results today. After lunch I called over there again and convinced the receptionist to fax the report to me, even though she informed me she "wasn't supposed to."

As I read the report, it indicated that my scan was negative, confirming what the technician had suspected the day before. The image below is the report issued by Washington Radiology Associates.

Bone Scan Report

I emailed a copy of the report to Dr. Pribut and then followed up with him at his house. We spoke at length about music, running and life. His analysis of the report was that it indeed came back "negative," meaning that the bone scan does not indicate that I have a stress fracture. However, he did say that there are occasions where the bone scan does not pick up a fracture. I believe he quoted a percentage around 15 and I interpreted it as some sort of "error" margin.

He did clear me to run, though, which is exciting. He did provide a note of caution and didn't recommend that I attempt to run a PR (personal record). I was, indeed, looking to log a sub-3 hour marathon, 10 minutes better than my PR in Vancouver which qualified me for the Boston Marathon.

We spoke a bit about my training and I recounted that I'd run the Cherry Blossom 10 miler two weeks ago. When I told him my time, he indicated that may have been too fast. However, there was no real way to know exactly what was causing the pain.

So, I'm going to run! My confidence is still waning, but at least I get to run with my doctor's blessing.

We're flying to Boston tomorrow, and I'll be sure to check in with my feelings and thoughts tomorrow and Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home