Sunday, April 20, 2008

We arrived in Boston yesterday. We're staying in an area called Jamaica Plain. CJ spent a few years up here and found a nice rental house on Craig's List a few months ago. The place is comfortable and we're sharing it with my friend Robert, his wife Liz and Robert's brother, Brian. That's going to be my support crew during the race tomorrow.

We took it pretty easy yesterday, staying within Jamaica Plain. We had a burrito at the Purple Cactus for lunch and then walked along Center Street visiting a bookstore, a flower shop and some other local businesses. Robert, who took Amtrak up from DC yesterday, swung by the house and then went to the airport to meet Brian (who lives in Seattle but was flying up from Raleigh) and Liz (flying in from Vancouver, where she and Robert live).

Around 5:30pm I decided to lay down for a nap while CJ caught up with her friend Gretchen. I sunk into a deep sleep and awoke an hour later, just before Robert, Liz and Brian arrived. We all went out for food and then came back and crashed pretty quickly.

I had a great night's sleep. I was able to quell the anxiety which has awoken me around 5 am each of the past few mornings. Though I did wake up to use the bathroom at that time I was able to get back to sleep until around 7. By then the bright sun was shining, making for a gorgeous morning. We snuck out to get some coffee and a paper prior to taking in a 9am yoga class.

I've avoided yoga over the past week for fear of aggravating what's going on with my shin. My leg was sore all day while walking yesterday, but I suspected that the benefits of an hour and a half long yoga practice would help my hips and hamstrings more than it would damage my shin. Now, as I'm awaiting a well cooked, healthy brunch by Robert, I am feeling happy with my decision to go to yoga.

The class was nice and mellow and I was able to alter the poses which I thought would put too much pressure on my lower right leg. I'd informed the instructor of my injury and the fact that I was running tomorrow's marathon and she kept an eye on me throughout the class. At the end of the class she made a "good luck" announcement and many of the students echoed her well wishes. It was really nice.

My leg is sore and the anxiety of what's going to happen tomorrow is still sitting on my shoulders. However, I'm relaxing and having a good time with my friends. I'm looking forward to heading down to the marathon expo later this afternoon and starting to focus on the race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home