Wednesday, April 16, 2008

It's pushing bedtime and I'm pretty exhausted. Unfortunately i cannot say that I'm tired from running or yoga, or the combination of the two, which I had hoped would be the case this week. I'm tired from working and my body is feeling the effects of not having exercised in the last few days. Exercise is something I am addicted to; I love the endorphins that flow freely through my bloodstream from running and yoga. That's not something I've felt yet this week.

On top of that, I use exercise as a counter to my lazy posture throughout the day in my desk chair. Because I haven't had that release, nor the ability to stretch, my lower back is tight, as is my neck. It's frustrating.

I've been hyper aware of the feeling in my leg recently. Even though the X-rays I took yesterday showed no signs of a fracture (the doctor told me he expected them to return negative), my leg does hurt when I walk on it. I've been using rest, ice, elevation and ibuprofen to quell the pain and hopefully buy me enough time to be able to run on this thing come Monday.

Since my last post I have received a strong showing of support from many of my friends, family and loved ones. It's really nice to feel that people are concerned on one hand and rooting for me with the other. The encouragement is great, but there's still a small voice in the back of my head wondering if it would be unwise to run the race on Monday. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can make that decision, other than me. So, bear with me as I figure out what I plan to do.

Tomorrow morning I go in for a bone scan. I have to go in at 10am to have a radioactive tracer injected into my arm. Then, i will return at 1pm to have the scan done. The scan will show whether or not there is a hot spot of activity of bone growth in my tibia - essentially showing that it is trying to repair a fracture. I don't believe I will have the results until Friday or Saturday.

One of my running friends informed me that Lance Armstrong had a stress fracture during his sub-3 hour performance at the New York City Marathon last year. You can read more about it here. In some ways that is refreshing. If Lance could run with a stress fracture, then maybe I can too. However, he did not know he had a stress fracture until after the marathon. He presumed he had shin splints and merely endured. I more or less know that I have a stress fracture, and have to make a serious decision about what running 26.2 miles on that will actually do to my body in the long run.

Right now I'm watching the NOVA program about marathon running on pbs.org. One woman suffered from multiple stress fractures in both of her shins, and was forced to drop out of her training. I'm hoping to find that my fate is different!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home